Search
  • Dave Harmon, PW editor

USFWS wants ESA listing for whitebark pine, "foundation" species in many western North American PAs

Not quite a decade after agreeing whitebark pines were a species in need of Endangered Species Act protection, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service now is proposing to list the iconic trees as threatened under the act.


The pines, which are viewed as a "foundation species," grow high in the upper reaches of parks such as Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Glacier, Yosemite, Crater Lake, and Kings Canyon. Roughly 70 percent of the species' range lies within the United States, according to Fish and Wildlife staff, with the remaining 30 percent in Canada, where the trees can be found in all of that country's mountain national parks - Waterton Lakes, Banff, Kootenay, Yoho, Mount Revelstoke, Glacier, and Jasper.


https://www.nationalparkstraveler.org/2020/12/fish-and-wildlife-service-wants-list-whitebark-pines-threatened-species

Recent Posts

See All

MACON, Georgia(41NBC/WMGT)– Macon-Bibb County announced this week that it has donated several land parcels to the Ocmulgee Mounds National Historical Park. The 250 acres located off of Ocmulgee East