US$50M restoration of Wright-designed New York estate finished
On July 22, New York Governor Andrew Cuomo announced that a two-decade, $50 million restoration of a significant Frank Lloyd Wright urban estate in Buffalo is finally complete, including the Martin House.
Wright completed the complex for Darwin D. Martin, the head of the Larkin Soap Company, in 1905. The buildings on-site include the Martin House, which is connected to a glass conservancy via a 100-foot-long glass pergola, as well as the Barton House, a residence for Martin’s sister and her family. A carriage house and a gardener’s house (added in 1908) are integrated into the estate via formal English gardens that merge with more naturalistic landscape elements.