Volunteer archaeologists in southern Scotland have discovered the remains of a 650-year-old bridge that once spanned the River Teviot. As Victoria Brenan reports for the Herald, experts describe the Old Ancrum Bridge as “one of the most important structures in medieval Scotland.”
Members of the local Ancrum and District Heritage Society (ADHS) have spent the past two years working with professional researchers to learn more about the site. According to the group’s website, the project began when an ADHS member found a mention of the bridge in a local government document dated to 1674. The text referred to the bridge as the only one in the area that offered passage to and from Scotland’s capital, Edinburgh.